Goa State Industries Association is an apex body representing Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) in Goa on various State & Central Govt. Bodies. GSIA was established in 1965 by the Small Industrialists mainly to strengthen the economic base of Goa.
GSIA is the first Association in the State of Goa to be conferred with an ISO 9001:2008 Certification by DET NORSKE VERITAS AS (DNV) [Raad voor Accreditatie (RvA)], the Dutch Council of Accreditation, Netherlands.
Over the years the Association has grown into a strong forum and has been able to assist MSMEs not only to manufacture standard products and sell in domestic markets but also export to foreign countries. It has also been an excellent service provider for its members/ stakeholders, providing them opportunities for growth and value enhancement.
GSIA is represented on various boards viz. MSMED Board, New Delhi, GSIA also has a Regional Directorship on Western Regional Board, SIDBI. It also represents on various prime bodies like Goa Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC) Board, Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB), Goa Handicrafts, Rural and Small Scale Industries Development Corporation Ltd. (GHRSSIDC) etc. Commercial Tax Advisory Committee, Goa State Directorate of Craftsmen Training, State Level Co-ordination Committee for Grant of Subsidy, Regional Advisory Committee (RAC) Customs & Central Excise, Regional Board (ESIC) Employees State Insurance Corporation, Provident Fund (PF), Standardization & Quality System, Department of Science, Technology & Environment (DST), Power Advisory Committee or any other Power Dept. matter, State Level of Inter-Institutional Committee (SLIIC), Prime Minister Rozgar Yojana (PMRY), Goa Labour Welfare Board, Goa Investment Promotion & Facilitation Board, etc.
GSIA is constantly having dialogue with State Govt. on various state policy matters concerning the industry and to resolve the difficulties of MSME sector with the Government.
GSIA has been successful in obtaining State Govt. subsidy for its members from time to time, providing valuable information concerning the Small Scale Industry sector to Govt. of Goa and has been instrumental in formulating the Goa Industrial Policy, 2003 for Goa. GSIA has also been forceful in implementing Price Preference for SSI units and entering into Rate Contract with the Government of Goa for various items manufactured in the Small Scale Sector.
GSIA’s PET Compacting Unit: GSIA in association with Directorate of Science, Technology and Environment (DSTE) and other Environment friendly NGOs started their first Compacting Unit of PET Bottles and other plastic waste at Sancoale Industrial Estate under the ‘Keep Goa Clean’ campaign. The plastic waste and bottles are collected at collection centers and crushed at the Compacting Unit. So far GSIA has collected and crushed more than 1 crore PET bottles and plastic waste from various locations in Goa.
GSIA has hosted a number of events viz;
- Seminar on Goa Industrial Policy.
- Seminar on BIOGOA – Opportunities in Biotech Industry for SSI Sector
- Vendor Development Programmes.
- Workshop on Enterprise Resource Planning(ERP) – SYNAPSE.
- Programme on “Sustainable Employment for the Local Youth and Developing Entrepreneurship Skills”
- Impact of WTO in Indian SMEs.
- Buyer-Seller Meets.
Activities of the Association
- GSIA is on the Board and Committees of various Government and Semi-Government Bodies where GSIA is taking up matters concerning the Industry and resolving issues affecting the MSME Sector.
- GSIA has been instrumental in formulating the Goa Industrial Policy, 2003. At the initiative of GSIA, Govt., of Goa extended the Goa Industrial Policy for a further two terms of 3 years each. It is now extended for another year and expiring on 31-3-2015.
- GSIA published a Compendium in 2009 giving details of all the Schemes of Goa Industrial Policy and Central Govt. GSIA also published a “Complete Guide to Industries and Enterprises in Goa, 2008” containing important notifications, rules, regulations and procedures to set up industries in Goa.
- GSIA has been forceful in the implementation of Rate Contract under Preferential Purchase Scheme where local Micro and Small units get annual Government business of around 12 to 15 crores.
- Due to repeated demands of GSIA, Govt., of Goa has again granted additional period of benefit of tax exemption to various classes of industrial units under Goa Value Added Tax Deferment-cum-Net Present Value Compulsory Payment Scheme, 2005.
- GSIA was instrumental in getting full exemption on entry tax for raw materials used by SSI units in manufacturing process.
- GSIA is a member on Minimum Wages Advisory Board and has been taking up issues in the interest of the entrepreneurs.
- GSIA has been helping Micro and Small units to get prompt payments from their buyers by being a member of Goa State Facilitation Council.
- GSIA members are on the Institute Managing Committees of all the ITI’s in Goa. GSIA has also signed a MoU with Agnel Entrepreneurship Development Institute, Verna, for development of entrepreneurship in Goa.
- GSIA has fought to bring in transparency and fair play in the allotment and transfer of industrial plots by Goa Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC) and contributed significantly to draft the new GIDC Land Allotment, Transfer and Sub-Lease Regulations 2014.
- GSIA in their campaign to ‘Keep Goa Clean’ has set up a PET Compacting Unit in association with Directorate of Science, Technology and Environment (DSTE) and other Environment friendly NGO’s at Sancoale Industrial Estate where used plastic pet bottles are collected and crushed.
- GSIA has been instrumental in getting the revised categorization of industries into Red, Orange and Green and revised structure of fees for obtaining consent to establish/operate under Water Act and Air Act.
- GSIA has signed a MOU with all the Industrial Estate Associations to establish a formal connect and have a unified front so that GSIA can take up larger issues affecting the Industrial Estates.
- GSIA has launched Udyog Adhar (Facilitation Centre) for consultation and advice to members and redressal of grievances.
- GSIA has been conducting various training programmes and workshops for the benefit of the members.
- GSIA is proud to be associated in drafting of Goa Investment Policy which resulted in passing of Goa Investment Promotion Bill, 2014 by the State Government. GSIA’s President is a member on Goa Investment Promotion and Facilitation Board.
- GSIA is actively engaged with its members and the Industrial Estate Associations in its efforts, not only to redress their grievances, but also to create a conducive environment for enabling entrepreneurship.